Traditionally, light-haired and fair-skinned people have been considered the best candidates for chemical peels. Nevertheless, this doesn’t mean dark-skinned people are exempt. A dark-skinned person can also record exemplary results depending on the condition being treated.
Severe wrinkles, bulges, and skin sags do not respond well to chemical peels. Individuals with such issues are advised to consider alternative treatments such as dermal fillers, laser resurfacing, eyelid lifts, or brow lifts. The physicians at ZO Skin Centre in downtown St. Petersburg will help you to determine which kind of treatment is best for your skin condition.
Which Conditions Can it Treat?
• Reduce dark patches, pigmentation, freckles and age spots
• Reduce the appearance of fine lines around the mouth and under the eyes
• Treat certain types of acne
• Improve the texture of areas that have been affected by skin damage
• Reduce the look of mild scars
Before Getting a Peel
Before the chemical peel is performed, it is important to inform our aestheticians of any recurring facial X-rays, cold sores, and scarring. Our doctors may also request you to stop taking certain medications, or to start preparing your skin for the procedure by taking medications such as glycolic acid, Roacutan, and Retin-A.
Our team of experts will work with you to determine the length and type of the peel you will receive, as this is very important to take in to consideration. It is a decision that will depend on the current condition of your skin and what you hope to achieve with this treatment.
Types of Chemical Peels
There are three types of peels, namely:
• Superficial: they are mild and can be performed on any type of skin.
• Medium: they tend to penetrate the skin more than the superficial peels.
• Deep: they penetrate several skin layers, and are only used on the face.
What to Expect After Your Peel
The recovery time after a peel is dependent on a number of factors, such as the type of peel you had and how it was done. Regardless of the type you choose, you need to ensure that you take proper care of your skin to speed up the healing process, prevent infections and ensure that the results will last longer.
Our team at ZO Skin Centre is looking forward to helping you achieve the skin you deserve. Contact our office today to schedule an appointment!